Eye Clinic near you in Hamden, Connecticut
Do you eat healthily and work out to keep your body in shape? Did you know that there are specific ways to keep your eyes strong too? You need your eyes for just about everything you do, and vision changes – such as painful vision or seeing blurry – can be extremely frightening. At our eye care center in Hamden, we make it our mission to help you see clearly and comfortably for as many years as possible.
To ensure that you are armed with all the info you need for powerful peepers, we outlined the following tips:
- Eat Well for Your Eyes Specific nutrients are particularly beneficial for healthy eyesight, such as omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin C, vitamin E, lutein, and zinc. The good news is that it’s not too hard to find foods rich in these nutrients. Snack on some berries and nuts, slice the avocado into your sandwich, choose brown rice and quinoa instead of white grains, make a fresh salad with kale and chard, drizzle flaxseed oil as a dressing, steam some broccoli, and eat an orange daily. Fish is a great source of eye-healthy omega-3s, including salmon, mackerel, tuna, and super-food sardines.
- Book Regular Eye Exams Don’t wait until you have a problem before scheduling an eye exam in Hamden. Many eye problems don’t have symptoms at the beginning. By the time you notice them, they will have advanced to a more serious stage. Eye diseases such as cataracts, diabetic retinopathy, glaucoma, and macular degeneration can stay silent for a long time. However, when they are detected early – treatment is much more effective. Also, if you wear prescription eyeglasses or contact lenses, an eye exam will confirm that you still have sharp vision.
- No Smoking Smoking is linked to a very long list of health problems, as you probably know. Yet, you may not know that eye disease is also on that list. Smoking can cause an increased risk for cataracts, optic nerve damage and macular degeneration – all of which can lead to blindness.
- Blink and Blink Again All screens, be it your computer, TV, smartphone or tablet, encourage us to stare at one spot for hours. In fact, a recent study found that people in the US look at screens for more than 7 sevens per day, on average! How does this hurt your eyes? The more time you spend gazing at one spot, the higher your chances of digital eye strain and fatigue. Our Boca Raton and Hamden eye doctor remind you to blink frequently, and to follow the 20-20-20 rule: look up and into the distance 20 feet away, for about 20 seconds, every 20 minutes.
- Block Your Eyes from the Sun Just like you slather on sunscreen to protect your skin, remember to put on a pair of sunglasses to protect your eyes. The sun’s harmful UVA and UVB rays have a cumulative effect and can raise your chances of eye disease in the future. Wearing shades today can positively impact your eye health years later. Make sure that you purchase sunglasses that block a minimum of 99% of the rays.
- Take Care of Your Contacts If you wear contact lenses, your risk of eye health complications increases considerably. Not adhering to the disinfecting routine and/or wearing schedule that your eye doctor in Boca Raton and Hamden advises can introduce dangerous debris and bacteria into your eyes. This can lead easily to an eye infection. If you wear disposables (dailies or weekly), toss them out when you’re supposed to.
- Stay a Healthy Weight & Stay in Motion Exercise can help to prevent and control many health conditions, such as high blood pressure, diabetes, and high cholesterol. Also, if you are overweight or obese, you are at a higher risk of developing these diseases, which put you at an increased chance of getting glaucoma or diabetic retinopathy.
- Know Your Family Eye History A number of eye diseases are inherited, so it’s a good idea to find out if any family members had them. This information will help our eye doctor in Boca Raton and Hamden to personalize your eye care.
- Put on Protective Eyewear Do you play sports that have sticks or racquets, such as lacrosse, ice hockey, and racquetball? All activities with swinging sticks can lead easily to eye damage. Whizzing balls are another hazard. Check out the selection of protective eyewear, such as safety glasses and sports goggles with polycarbonate lenses, in our fully stocked center for eye care in Hamden. This advice also rings true for people who work with airborne materials or hazardous substances.
- Sip a Fresh Brew Caffeine appears to work as more than a pick-me-up in the middle of a long day. According to medical experts, drinking two servings of caffeinated drinks each day may offer protection against dry eye syndrome. Coffee, tea, or soda, the choice is yours!
Value your vision! Healthy eyes are an important part of a healthy body, and they play a major role in your quality of life. For more guidance on how to keep your eyes healthy, reserve an appointment and eye exam in our Hamden practice.
OmniVision Eye Associates Eye Clinic and Eye Clinic in Hamden, Connecticut
Many eye diseases can be quickly and easily diagnosed during a comprehensive eye exam. If you were diagnosed with an eye disease, such as Cataracts, Glaucoma, Macular degeneration, Diabetic retinopathy, or Dry eye, you may be overwhelmed by the diagnosis and confused about what happens next. Will you need medications or surgery – now or in the future? Our Hamden eye doctor has prepared the following answers to your questions about eye disease.
Book Regular Eye Exams with our OmniVision Eye Associates Eye Doctor!
Dry Eye Treatment
Dry eyes can lead to many uncomfortable or painful symptoms that can disturb your daily tasks. For example, driving, reading, and using a computer may become a challenge due to irritated, dry eyes. Because the cause of dry eye syndrome is highly individual, it is essential to undergo a thorough OmniVision Eye Associates eye exam to identify the cause. Once we have the results of your exam, our optometrist will design the most helpful dry eye treatment. Your dry eye therapy may include lid wipes, artificial tears eye drops, heat compresses and Bruder masks, or Restasis eye drops.
Myopia Correction & Myopia Control
Myopia, more commonly known as nearsightedness, can be corrected efficiently with prescription eyeglasses or contact lenses. Our OmniVision Eye Associates eye care specialist will perform detailed vision testing to determine your precise prescription, so you enjoy the clearest eyesight possible! For children with high myopia that worsens continuously, our eye doctor may recommend various methods of myopia control, such as soft multifocal contacts, Zeiss Myokids lenses, MiSight contact lenses from Coopervision, and vision therapy.
Specialty Contacts: Scleral Lenses for Keratoconus
Our OmniVision Eye Associates eye doctor is competent in fitting contacts for even the most complex, hard-to-fit vision conditions, such as keratoconus. If you have this corneal disorder, Dr. Hochberg will map your cornea using the latest technology – so you benefit from the comfort of scleral lenses with a precise fit. Nowadays, almost everyone can wear contacts, and we are experienced in performing contact lenses fittings and eye exams in our OmniVision Eye Associates office.
Do you want crystal-clear vision without the nuisance of eyeglasses or contacts? Ask us about our convenient co-management services for LASIK surgery and other refractive procedures. We offer complete preoperative and postoperative care in the comfort of our convenient center for eye care in OmniVision Eye Associates. You will receive top-notch, personalized attention from the eye doctor who knows you best.
Our eye doctor looks forward to seeing you! Call to book an eye exam or stop in anytime to find the perfect pair of high-quality, designer frames. We are the leading eye care center near you in Hamden, Connecticut.